Sunday, November 01, 2020

THE REASON I LIKE WINDOWS AND WHY YOU SHOULD LIKE IT TOO

THE REASON I LIKE WINDOWS AND WHY YOU SHOULD LIKE IT TOO: 
Before you continue reading this article, there are few thing I need to orient you with;
1. I am not writing on behalf of Microsoft or any other company but just about my personal experience.

2.  The language I am using in this article is basic English from a basic computer user and in case of any mistake feel free to correct me please.

3.  The dates I am mentioning are basing on my personal experience and not the actual dates for different Microsoft released various versions and packages of windows. 

In my life time I have used several operating systems which I will not mention for now, but I have met none that beats the Windows Operating system.  I have been using Windows since 2003 when I was in my early years in secondary school, and during that time we were running some pro book from Canada that was running on Windows 98 in our school library.  This was also used by the school for printing and typing activities by our school secretary.  That was then, in one of the biggest resource centers of the time in the area, Kitengeesa Community Library, located in Lwannunda Village, Buwunga Sub County, Masaka District, Central Uganda.  I have already written an article about this prestigious resource centre and it's rise from a small box of books to a big resource centre, and you can read about it from here.  

Ok back to the windows issue, we were using Windows 98 and during that time, I was one of the people used to enter information into the library database, for I was working as a library scholar and my activities were similar to those of an assistant librarian.  I can not really recall the office pack we were using and I can not tell whether Microsoft office was there at a time and or whether the database application was part of the Windows 98 but all I can remember is that we used to launch the database from a desktop icon on the Pro book we were using from Canada, organized and preinstalled by our Canadian and American friends.  I can also remember that we did not use the computer for many roles but only the database, watching movies which was usually on Sundays as one of the library activities.  I was one guy and the Librarian who were trained on how to use it and so, my experience is down below.

THIS IS HOW WE USED TO TRANSFER AND STORE DATA: 
Data transfer during that time was a bit complicated compared to nowadays and I can not imagine the much computers have evolved.  This is because the only media we had for that purpose, was a floppy disk and or a CD/DVD.  Although our American friends were talking about a re-writable DVD, actually I personally never met one at a time and the floppy and the CDs we were using were not rewritable.  So, in short, one had to be really perfect not to mess with the transfer media and also, to be able to keep the media for later use labeled and safe.  But of course we had a lot of setbacks and we lost data frequently as part of being not much used to the electronic data transfer protocols.  I know children of nowadays may not know what exactly I am talking about but in the picture above, is an example of the way, a floppy disc used to look like.  I am wondering I am not seeing them these days and on my laptop there is no slot for it.

THE SHIFT FROM WINDOWS: 
Gone are the days of windows 98 and around 2009 after finishing my advanced level, I started using Windows 7 from the organisation I was working for during my vacation.  Since then, I have had a chance to use Windows XP, Windows vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and the nowadays latest Windows 11.  I have really got a lot from any of the above mentioned versions and at any point, I have ever messed with any during usage either due to poor maintenance, or lack of technical know how.  But anyway you should forgive me for for that because it took about 2 years from 2009 for me to know availability of Google as a resource when it comes to computer usage, and another 5 years from then, to know how to geek.  

Like I said earlier I am not an ICT technician or a software analyst and everything I am talking about, is basing on user experience and therefore, please, feel free to correct where I don't address issues the way they should be especially when it comes to the computer language and now that I am professionally not ICT or computer science but just a medical scientist.  

There is one thing I would like to thank Microsoft when it comes to windows, the deep upgrading for every upcoming versions of Windows and inclusion of new and interesting work-arounds.  I just noted that from my own experience, there is a lot added in Windows 11 compared to previous versions of windows and in fact I am one of the few guys to recognize that you can use Windows 11 without needing to install any third party software.

WHAT DID I MEET GOOD IN WINDOWS 10 AND 11?: 
Unlike in the previous versions of Windows, I have met the best security measures in the latest Windows available in my country.  I am one guy who used to buy lots of third party antivirus software in the past and despite the expenditure, I could remain disappointed.  I don't really know whether I was buying untrusted and fake software and or whether I was buying them from fake dealers!  And again for the sake of privacy and confidentiality, I will not mention the names of the antivirus packs I was buying but whatever they are, I did not know what I was doing.  Thank to Microsoft for the now Windows inbuilt Defender that I have not thought about a duo pack of Windows and Antivirus.  I now this may disappoint some software developers of antivirus but remember I said in the beginning that; This is my personal experience that should not be envied in that respect.  Therefore I am one guy who can put my thumbs up and say, "I believe in enterprise security".

RELATED;

No comments:

Post a Comment

MOST FREQUENTLY READ